My Heart’s Across the Border
Various (Rex Allen, Tex Ritter, Tune Wranglers, Ole Rasmussen, Tommy Duncan, Sons of the West, etc.)
BACM CD 655.
As radio host and music historian Paul Hazell says in his liner notes, this CD “is not only very entertaining to listen to, it also rescues from obscurity a whole set of wonderful recordings that almost certainly would otherwise not ever have seen the light of day again. Furthermore, it shows the link between the music of the cowboy, the Texas dance hall music known as Western Swing and the Spanish-influenced music of Mexico, tipping its hat to the polka along the way!” That’s it in a nutshell!
This CD contains 27 tracks, most quite rare, and all reflect the album’s border music theme. The opener, by Don Pauli, is the title song and, while I’d never heard of the singer, I became a fan on the spot! Surprises like this abound, e.g. I don’t recall ever hearing Tex Ritter’s “Lo Que Digo” or the Tune Wranglers’ “Cielito Lindo.” Tommy Duncan’s band reprises his old boss’s signature song, “San Antonio Rose,” the Coffman Sisters sing “Rancho Pillow” (an old Gene Autry favorite), Red River Dave sings “Fiesta in Old San Antone” and there are three songs about New Mexico. An enjoyable album of rare, vintage material! Available from British Archive of Country Music online or, if you live in the US, you may want to call Roots & Rhythm in California (888-ROOTS-66 ) as they sometimes carry BACM product.
– My Heart’s Across The Border Don Paull)
– Mama Inez (Sons Of The West)
– Riding For The Rio Grande (Tune Wranglers)
– Spanish Polka (Ole Rasmussen & Nebraska Cornhuskers)
– Rancho Pillow (Coffman Sisters)
– San Antonio Rose (Tommy Duncan)
– Lo Que Digo (Tex Ritter)
– Rancho Serenade (Rodney Morris & The Missourians)
– Rio Grande Lullaby Tune Wranglers)
– In New Mexico (Stan Stone)
– Shine On New Mexico Moon (Tune Wranglers)
– Spanish Medley Of Waltzes (Jimmie Revard & The Oklahoma Playboys)
– Fiesta In San Antonio(Red River Dave McEnery)
– Cielito Lindo (Tune Wranglers)
– Spanish Cavalier (Sons Of The West)
– Border Serenade (Rex Allen & Arizona Wranglers)
– Susquehanna Waltz (Maybelle Sieger & The Sons Of The Plains)
– Texas On The Sleepy Rio Grande (Billy Oudeans & Starry Sky Boys)
– Spanish Fire Bells (Earl Songer)
– Spanish Fandango (Spade Cooley)
– My Adobe Hacienda (The Esquire Trio)
– San Antonio Rose (Eddie Smith)
– Mexican Joe (The Rhythm Harmoneers)
– New San Antonio Rose (Six Westernaires with Ralph Bass Jnr.)
– My Sweetheart Of The Rio Grande (John Lorenz with Joe Venuti’s Rangers)
– New Mexico Waltz (Jack Tex Williams)
– Cielito Lindo (The Gopher Hole Diggers).